From:
Cordelia Merritt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Sep 2008 21:37:49 -0700
Just a thought on what comes first, the chicken or the egg.  Is it the
antidepressants or the depression/anxiety that can cause decreased
supply?  My personal experience with PPD/anxiety was that when things
got bad, my milk would not let down.  I have a friend who had the same
experience.  I had low supply prior to my PPD/anxiety which had
recovered.  I weaned off domperidone and then when I had my big crash
at 4.5 months PP, I had a drop in supply due to anxiety and being so
exhausted that I had to have someone else care for my baby at night.
I went back on domperidone and was able to recover my supply again.  I
took paxil for about 3 months.

Also on the subject of PPD, I recently attended a maternal nutrition
intensive course available on line through the University if
Minnesota.  One of the topics was A New Paradigm for Depression in New
Mothers: How Inflammation Increases Mothers' Risk for Depression and
How Breastfeeding Protects Them.  In this lecture I learned that the
American Psychiatric Association has recognized that omega 3's can
prevent or be used to treat depression and that omega 3's may also
reduce the dosage of antidepressants needed to treat depression.  I
believe it is the EPH rather than DHA that is best at treating
depression.  What I also understand from the lecture is that
breastfeeding helps depressed mothers keep connected to their babies
but breastfeeding difficulties can make the set up for depression
worse therefore women need more help/support to overcome breastfeeding
problems when they occur.  Other factors in developing PPD are Stress,
psychological trauma, sleep deprivation, pain, inflammation, Lots of
links to articles on the subject are available at Kathleen Kendall-
Tacket's web site www.granitescientific.com also info at www.breastfeedingmadesimple.com

So, for the women who experience decreased supply on antidepressants,
they may find that taking omega 3's could help decrease the amt of
antidepressant needed to treat their depression.

Now, I can't find a link but didn't I read a few months back about a
mother who experienced increased milk supply while on
antidepressants?  Unfortunately I can't remember which one she was
taking.

Cordelia Merritt  RN BSN IBCLC