From:
Fleur Bickford <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 19 Jan 2008 06:47:42 -0500
I have permission to post. I'm working with a mother who has had a rough
time with breastfeeding right from the start (C-section after 3 days of
failed induction attempts, baby was supplemented in hospital). She had a
terrible time with thrush in the early months, along with sore damaged
nipples. She has been seen by several well respected IBCLCs. At this point,
baby is 5 months old, and she still has damaged nipples. She states that the
"holes" in her nipples just aren't healing, and she's still having pain when
baby nurses (right now the pain is just when baby feeds, and is only in her
nipples. She states that "his tongue feels like sandpaper against her
nipples"). Her doctor is still wanting to treat for thrush, but the mom and
I agree that she no longer seems to have thrush. Her iron levels have been
checked and are normal, and at my suggestion, she asked her doctor to take
cultures from her nipples, which was done just recently, and we are waiting
for results. My thoughts at the moment are that there is either something
going on with mom that is preventing healing, or there is something going on
with the way baby is latching/sucking (I've been working with this mom over
the phone, so I haven't seen her, but as I mentioned she has seen several
IBCLCs). Does anyone have any other suggestions? Anything else that could
cause slow wound healing in mom?

Fleur Bickford RN, LLLL
Ontario, Canada