From:
Jeanette McCulloch <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Apr 2011 12:23:56 -0400
I can add a bit about my own personal experience.  My son had GERD,
and was so much more comfortable lying on his left side (gastric
emptying is more efficient when lying on your left side) that we
eventually "abandoned" the left breast.  I would describe myself as
someone who has a somewhat smaller "storage capacity" but we
effectively fed on just one side without any supplementation.   I was
never particularly concerned, but I had also seen other mothers -
those with breast injury, for instance - successfully feed using just
one breast.  Our transition was more gradual (first we only fed at
night on the right breast, then over time just stopped the left as the
supply dwindled).  If you had a more abrupt transition, I could
imagine the need to pump/hand express the unused breast to avoid
blocked ducts/mastitis.  Assuming she has a generally full supply, and
feeds on demand on the now preferred side, it seems like it would just
respond to demand.

I have always wondered what the physiological impact might be of not
getting the "balance" of feeding on both sides.  For instance, if
breastfeeding provides for optimal development of the facial and jaw
muscles, would one sided feeding make him somewhat lopsided?  I was
also thinking about the benefits to me (for instance, reduced breast
cancer risks) and wondering if "left breast" is now at greater risk.
I will tell you that I feel a difference from always feeding on the
same side - I have a very strong right arm (and I'm a lefty!) and do
some yoga to even myself out a bit!  But these are all little
theoretical wonderings of mine, and certainly nothing worth abandoning
breastfeeding altogether!  We're still happily nursing on the one side
with my son at 2 yrs old.

Jeanette McCulloch