From:
Heather Mace <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Oct 2008 20:12:17 -0400
Couple your story with what Gloria posted re: Henci Goer and truthfully, I am
beginning to wonder if I haven't gotten myself into something awful here at
nursing school.  I will have OB clinicals beginning mid-January.  Most of our
clinical experiences here will be 8-5 daily, but OB will be 1-9.  Why?  Because
so many mothers are induced in the morning and most of them don't end up
delivering until after 5 pm and we will be "lucky" to observe and scrub in on
several sections.

It is downright appalling to hear the utter refusal of medical professionals in
this country, and others, as they put on blinders to evidence based practice.
So many of these same decision makers call themselves scientists and
sometimes it is just a bit much to swallow.

I too hope that my time in the spring will be one where I learn a lot about the
MMOB, more than I've already experienced first hand, and that ultimately it
will allow me to contribute positively to the birth landscape, and the
breastfeeding landscape as breastfeeding is the natural partner of birth
despite what women are told far too often.

I am new here, but I am not new to breastfeeding or birth or message boards,
so I am sure that there is the potential for me to get a bit singed over this,
but I'm willing to accept it.  The truth is that I continue to be outraged by
many of the things I read here, and in the traditional media, and even what I
hear among polite company about how women are bullied and given half
truths.  I can tell you that there have been several times when I have silently
invoked the name Henci Goer and thought lucky the woman who had Henci by
her side at birth.  But what of that now?

Of course, that is rhetorical, and certainly no reflection on Ms. Goer herself,
just an expression of my exasperation.  I cried when I watched BOBB, and I
cried again at the production clips where the overwhelming consensus was
that this situation will get worse before it gets better.  I cried too at the story
on Gloria's blog where she talks about the cord-clamping research, which
American and Canadian physicians handily ignore.  Not only did I cry because
the practice makes no sense for mothers and babies in the birthing room, but
it certainly doesn't make sense four to six months later when that same
woman is being browbeaten by her physician to supplement her baby's
exclusively breastfed diet with iron of questionable value and origin.

I'm not entirely certain what my initial point was in saying all of this.  I do
hope that the ladies here will see it as a vent, rather than an unprofessional
rant.  I can say, with utmost confidence and a genuine smile on my face, that
I am glad to have become a part of this community.  It is one of a handful
that I have joined.  Each time I have been humbled by the amazing company I
keep online, and so far, this experience is no different from my others.  I am
grateful that communities like this exist as we all forge ahead in our adjacent
treks towards something more "real" for the mothers we know.  I hope that
even in my frustration, and occasionally through my tears, it still shows how
much I enjoy reading here.  I know that my time here is well-spent when I see
in every post something that will help me help a mother.

Sincere thanks,
Heather Mace