From:
Laura Hart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 26 Jul 1998 18:29:49 EDT
Cyndi & Elaine,
I'm ready! Just when things seem to go a step forward, we then take a step
back. At the hospital where I work, we WERE allowing babies to stay with moms
for as long as they liked. Now our L&D staff won't to do any transition
activities on babies-no eye oint, Vit K, VS, weights & measurements. Now
babies MUST go to nursery for their eye ointment within 1 hour of birth!
(Breastfeeding? Oh well! Who cares?) We now also have a very high epidural
rate. Our OB docs & nurses LOVE them & encourage them. I've also never seen so
many percocets given out to so many "normal vaginal deliveries." There was a
time when only surgical patients received percs. I think that this is
appropriate discussion for Lactnet because it definately impacts the parent-
child relationship & breastfeeding.
Laura Hart-I do love my job as maternal-child nurse, childbirth educator &
lactation consultant, but it can be frustrating!