From:
Kathleen Bruce <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 May 2001 19:46:33 -0400
Hi Stephanie. I am glad this is your experience. However, finding people
open to evidence regarding breastfeeding (and then making changes in
practice) has not been my universal experience. I have encountered some
professionals (not necessarily nurses, or doctors, or whatever)....who
respond to professionally presented, evidence-based information with scorn,
disbelief, and defensiveness.

There are professionals in every field who are open to new information, and
there are those who are not. Taking things personally is not conducive to
open and professional discussion, in my experience. I find it easiest to
discuss things, as you say, professionally, giving evidence for my opinion,
and expecting the same of the other person.

Keeping it friendly but factual.  Taking a comment as a slur on an entire
profession draws attention away from the real point, ...keeping current in
the profession.

Kathleen