From:
Chris Mulford <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Feb 2002 22:58:17 EST
Winnie Mading  wrote about nurses' attitudes being the key to how they treat
mothers and how effective they are at supporting breastfeeding.  One of her
hypothetical quotes was this:
"Breastfeeding repulses me-I'm uncomfortable discussing it with mothers"

What I want to know is, where is the supervision for a nurse who has that
attitude?  Can a nurse say, "Sorry, I just don't do vomit," or "Emptying a
bedpan is repulsive," or "I can't stand the sight of blood," or "Who, me?
Wipe somebody's bottom?"????  No.  They just have to handle it.  It's part of
their job.  So what makes anyone think that a nurse, especially one who has
CHOSEN to work in maternity, should be allowed to give sub-standard care
because she is "uncomfortable" with breastfeeding?

Chris Mulford, former hospital maternity nurse,
and I bottle fed lots of babies on night shift (whose mothers had opted not
to breastfeed at all), even though I think formula is pretty repulsive
stuff...