Date:
Tue, 1 Oct 1996 11:48:30 +1000
Hello world, my name is Annette Stolz and I have recenly joined the net
so my apologies for any breech of netiquette.I live in the beautiful balmy
tropical city of Townsville in sunny Queensland, Australia. I am a 4 year
hospital trained Registered Nurse and graduated in early sixties.  In 1982
was left a pregnant widow but in 1989 I completed High School (where I sat
in class with my then 15 year old son.  He dropped out, yet he is the one
who got me into Lactnet as I am almost computer illiterate). I have since
trained as a Midwife, Child Health Nurse,did IBCLC, and University studies
for my Bachelor of Nursing.  I now work in a Neonatal Unit in Special Care
Nursery.  I have recently been invited to take part in a study looking at
storage of human milk particularly after freezing in plastic. Does anyone
have suggestions where I can obtain information here please?  I have been
in touch with our Australian Laction Resourse Centre.
        Some questions I have is- what is WIC and ABM?  Is the latter our
artificial formula (AF)?  My comment on the word nappies- at a guess I
would say it has come from the English use of Napkins at the dinner table
which was used to clean the mouth and mop up any spills.  Parents also use
napkins to clean up babie's excreta, (?affectionally) referred to as "nappies".
Canada, America and Australia had it's cultural roots in England, so, where
does the American word "diaper" come from?