From:
Jill Meltzer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Nov 1995 00:42:41 -0500
I have a client at work who is on Xanax for panic disorder and took it
throughout her pregnancy (low dose about .25 tid) and she really would like
to breastfeed.  The hospit nurses and pharmacist we adamant that she should
not breastfeed.  The information I have obtained says that this class is not
absolutely not contraindicated but possible with caution and observation????
 Baby already was exposed in utero so I might think that breastfeeding might
avoid any jitteryness that the baby might experience by being without the
influence of the drug and if mom still kept her dose low and nurse 2-3 hrs.
after a dose it might be fine.  I hope Dr. Hale is out there as well as
others.  Baby is 3 days old. Mom doesn't have a pump.  I tried to teach hand
expression over phone but not ideal so not  much success.  Her O.B. (really a
G.P.) hasn't returned her call yet for an opinion.  I put in a call to the
Ruth Lawrence hot line and am waiting for a call back.  I hope to hear some
or chance.

Jill Meltzer, R.N.
Breastfeeding Coordinator
WIC Program