From:
Rachel Myr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Jun 2002 10:23:36 +0200
A quick report from the practical world:
I recently spoke with a woman awaiting her first child, the result of a
fourth IVF attempt after the first three failed.  She was hospitalized in
week 33 with threatening premature labor, and hoping to hang on until baby
would have a better chance of avoiding an NICU stay.  Among her worries was
that one of her prenatal carers had told her 'it's unlikely you'll bring in
a full milk supply, since you conceived by IVF'.

She looked typically feminine to me, entirely normal body build, fat and
hair distribution, so of course I asked whether she had a diagnosis that
explained why she needed IVF.  'Endometriosis (confirmed by laparoscopy).'
I told her that as far as I knew this had no connection with low milk
supply, and that until proven otherwise we expected her course of
breastfeeding to be more influenced by her own desire to breastfeed and the
condition of her baby than by anything else.  We talked about pumping in the
beginning if baby was born so prematurely as to necessitate that, and we
talked about how unfortunate the HCP's remark was.  The woman was later
discharged from hospital at nearly 35 weeks, as things had settled down and
she was able to rest well at home.

I was away for a time, but arrived at work after my trip to find that she
had given birth to a healthy son weighing over 6 lb. at just 36 weeks.
Because of clinical features in the case he was being treated
prophylactically in the NICU with IV antibiotics, but otherwise no problems.
He was also having some difficulty latching and was being fed banked milk
until she got her own supply going.  By the third day she was pumping 50-60
ml per session and engorged, and the first thing she said when I went in to
congratulate her was 'You were RIGHT!  I have MILK!'  Naturally she is very
happy about it, and she said how much it meant that someone who had a clue
about lactation gave her a strong vote of confidence before she gave birth.
By now she was ready to learn reverse pressure softening, and needed it.  It
helped, as it generally does.

I think she would have managed in any case, but I am pleased that her last
couple of weeks were less tense, and her start at breastfeeding more
confident, because of a short conversation in late pregnancy.  It takes so
little sometimes, but it takes just as little to shake a woman's confidence
in herself, especially when her childbearing is not uncomplicated at the
outset.

Rachel Myr
Kristiansand, Norway