From:
Magda Sachs <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Dec 2001 14:21:25 -0000
 >I have never heard of anyone lancing a bleb

not only have I suggested pricking (rather than lancing) a few times, I was
there with the mum once and helped her.  I had looked it up in Ruth Lawrence
(1999, 5th edition) and we just warmed up the breast and nipple (hot wet
flannel, as I recall), sterilised the needle and she poked the top off. [As
a non health professional it would be outside my terms of insurrance to do
it for her, though she might have prefered that.]  It gave relief but was
also part of a process of dealing with the surrounding issues.

The other time I recall is I suggested it to a mum (not all women would like
to do this) who was quite happy to try, did and got back to me (as I had
requested, as I guess this might have been the first mum I had spoken to,
who was going to do it).  It worked for her, though she had to repeat it
once, and was pain free within about 48 hours.

Both women had issues with thrush or suspected thrush (in the latter case)
and mastitis.

Magda Sachs
Breastfeeding Supporter, BrN [UK mother-support group]