From:
Price Pamela B <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Mar 2004 14:28:51 -0600
Friends, I am at a loss for where to look for information on the following,
it is a post breastfeeding issue, and a personal one, I hope that it is not
completely inappropriate to address it here.  Please feel free to contact me
privately or by post.

My  youngest son of 3 children will be 6 years old at the end of this month.
He nursed until he was about 3 and 1/2 years old.  He has never had a
special comfort item other than mom's breasts.  At night when he is falling
asleep he slips his hand inside my shirt and lightly rests his fingers over
one nipple.  If he walks in while mom is changing clothes he will stand in
front of me and reach up and place his hand over my breast.  If he is tired
or ill he will do the same.  He strongly feels they are his "boobies" and he
does not like to see me hug or hold anyone else, even though those things
have nothing to do with breasts, it places someone else in between him and
me, even briefly.

I feel like this is very normal, it doesn't happen 24/7, he just likes to
cuddle with them at night or when relaxing.  My husband, on the other hand,
feels like there is something seriously wrong with this.  His feelings about
this surprises me. Our daughter was 5 when our son was born and she did the
same thing, the only reason why he did not notice it is because I had a
newborn on the breast while she rested or would pat the other.  She of
course was not possessive since she shared the time with the baby.  She did
this and slowly weaned from it over the 3+years that I nursed the baby.  So
that means she was somewhere between 5 years and 8 when she finally stopped.
All of this I find normal attachment.  It has become a real issue for my
husband (of 18 years) He thinks that I need to put a stop to it, and that
"it is as much my problem as it is his (meaning our son).".   All three of
our children were family bed kids, the older 2 eased their way to their own
rooms between 6 and 8 years of age.

I would really like any references to the "normalness" of this.  Can anyone
help me?

Pam Price