From:
Judy Le Van Fram <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Nov 2003 11:15:51 EST
Joy wrote:

<< It wasn't even on the  one I filled in for my mammogram recently. When the
technician was  going through my form with me, I commented on this and asked
why they  didn't ask about breastfeeding history, both whether I was breastfed
 or how long I had breastfed my babies. She said that it was because  it made
no difference to breast cancer risk, and that she was really  supportive of
breastfeeding (was currently a breastfeeding mum  herself in fact).  >>

Interesting, since if we really look at this scientifically, she couldn't
possibly know whether or not it made a difference, if no forms ever ask about it,
right? For right now, we can keep mentioning it, but it sure does feel like
an uphill climb. I was paying for something in the local pharmacy, and
commented on the yellow ribbon the checkout person was wearing, mentioning that
yellow ribbons can mean support for breastfeeding. She said "oh no, this means
support for children with leukemia". I said that is sort of ironic since
breastfeeding can lower a child's risk of getting cancer. Her response was that "oh
well my breasts hurt so much after birth I couldn't possibly have put a baby near
there - my poor baby had to go on the artificial stuff". At this point the
woman behind me said " Yes it does mean support for children with leukemia, my
sister's boy has it, so I know." I said, that makes sense since breastfeeding
support ribbons usually have two loops, not one, since breastfeeding isn't a
disease but something good we want to promote. She said "after my son was born,
I got a breast fever and my doctor told me I couldn't breastfeed anyway."
Sigh,
Judy LeVan Fram, PT, IBCLC, Brooklyn, USA