From:
Leslie Cree <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 4 Mar 2006 10:20:28 -0500
Sorry I don't have any studies to quote, but here is some information I
have gleaned. As a figure skater, I was anxious to be back "on the ice"
after my daughter was born. I had skated regularly throughout the
pregnancy and resumed 3 weeks postpartum with blessing from my midwife.
The only cautionary is that weight loss can be quite rapid. Mother should
make sure she is not restricting calories too much while exercising. The
calories used for nursing, coupled with moderate exercise results in
weight loss without extra effort at "dieting". Encourage athlete moms to
eat small, nutritious and regular meals. I once read an article about
distance runners (or triathletes) whose babies did not nurse as
enthusiastically after a work- out, but came back to normal behavior by
the next feeding. In other athlete moms that I know, breast refusal or
baby behavior change after working out did not seem to be an issue. Milk
supply is based on baby's demand, so if mother is not using ABM
supplements or pacifiers to artifically stretch out the time between
feedings in order to work out, milk supply should be fine. I hope this
unscientific info. is helpful. Please also remember, breastfeeding is how
humans have been designed to feed their babies for eons, and only recently
have we become so sedentary.