From:
Nikki Lee <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Jul 2006 20:46:14 EDT
Dear Friends:
    Esther has shared a lovely editorial with us; I  agree whole-heartedly.
Let oxytocin rule!!
    I have just spent 12+ hours dealing with technical  support about my new
laptop. 6 of those hours I spent  convincing  staff that the problem was with
the new computer, not with the router nor the  cable nor the connection. 2
other wireless computers worked instantly and  perfectly; the new one didn't. Why
did it take them so long to believe me and  accept that the new one was not
working?
    Part of the misery was being treated like a cog in  a wheel. Factory
mentality is so pervasive and ubiquitous that it isn't until I  got out of my
daily pattern that I noticed how splendidly impersonal humans can  be.
    Technicians read perfect phrases to me to encourage  and
console............and they all used exactly the same words. It didn't  help me.
    Bursting into tears when someone tried to pressure  me into taking a
screwdriver to the new laptop to open and fix it was the most  effective.
    They are sending a new one.

    Without connections there is no caring. Without  connections we are but
machines. To illustrate, we are deemed incable  of identifying strong labor
contractions because the monitor picture says  that we aren't having any. Our
feelings don't count; only the graph is  right.

    Not a way I want to live...........nor do I want it  for my children and
grandchildren.
    warmly,

Nikki Lee RN, MS, Mother of 2, IBCLC, CCE
Maternal-Child Adjunct  Faculty Union Institute and University
Film Reviews Editor, Journal of Human  Lactation
www.breastfeedingalwaysbest.com