From:
Kathy Eng <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Jun 2002 16:14:54 -0500
I have checked Hale's book on nitrofuranoin (macrobid) used two times a day at 100 mg each dose in a mom with a 7 day old infant, just out of the hospital for jaundice. I believe the highest bilirubin count was about 16-17. Hale says that while it is approved by the AAP for use in breastfeeding moms, "do not use in infants with  G6PD or in infants less than one month of age."

The confusion is if the notation of do not use in infants under one month of age means directly to the infant or even through the breastmilk when the mom takes it.

Does this mean this mom should pump and dump while she take it? Thank you, Kathy Eng, IBCLC