From:
Jean Ridler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 22 Aug 1999 14:38:39 +0200
I will be seeing this mother for the first time on Tuesday.  The brief
history I got over the phone is as follows:

First baby, 2.5 months old.  At 2 months mother noticed flecks of blood
in the baby's small vomit after a feed.  Thereafter, the stools became
dark and were tested by the doctor to reveal maternal blood.  This
happened one more time.  Mother reports no cracks visible on nipples,
but has experienced nipple damage from time to time.  Latch on checked
by two different "experts".  Breasts sometimes hurt during and after a
feed and have done so since the baby's birth.  (? thrush - mother feels
not).  Last night baby vomited a "large" amount of what looked like pure
blood.  Soaked mothers top and right through to baby's skin and down
legs.  Pumping is not painful for the mother and the expressed milk
shows no sign of blood. She is now giving EBM in a bottle as she is
too scared to feed at the breast again.

Does an intraductal papilloma cause this amount of bleeding?  One post
in the archives suggested it could be caused by a rapidly growing
cancer.  How do we find a doctor/surgeon who is familiar with the
lactating breast?   Her OB/GYN has no idea what it could be.

Any suggestions will be most appreciated.  TIA

Jean Ridler  RN  RM  IBCLC
Cape Town, South Africa
mailto:[log in to unmask]