From:
Ann Perry <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Jun 2000 16:40:24 EDT
Hi Jennifer,
I think you are correct to be concerned.  I know weights have been discussed
in the past on LN but I like to use it as one of the criteria to evaluate how
the brfdg and baby are doing.
You say the fdgs ave 5-10 mins, have you obs any of these fdgs?  If not that
is where I would start.  Look for swallowing, the suck/swallow ratio, look at
the latch and how does the baby look prior, during and after the fdg.  Are
the eyes open during the active part of the fdg?  Does Mom know how to use
alternate massage of the breast during the fdg when the baby pauses?
After you evaluate a fdg then make your suggestions 1-2 stools/day is not
enough especially if the baby is not gaining well.  I am not sure why the
Pedi is not concerned and saying the baby is in the 50% tells you nothing
compared to what the baby was at birth.
Until you evaluate the Mom, baby and a fdg I don't think I would want to
speculate more of what could possibly be wrong.
Can she come see you soon?
Good luck and keep us posted.
Ann Perry RN IBCLC
Boston, MA