Date:
Tue, 16 Jul 2002 15:02:07 -0800
Barbara,

One of our very insightful WIC leaders brought up the issue of new
mothers on public assistance who have to go back to work or school
full-time with the new welfare plans by 5-6 weeks.  In our state, it
sounds like mothers can get an exemption to stay home for longer if they
are single but not if they have a partner.

It would be nice to point out the fiscal benefits of breastfeeding to
legislators and at least let mothers wait until 3-6 months before having
to work or go to job training full time.  Maybe even an allowance of
part-time while breastfeeding. There definitely is room here for some
creative solutions.

Looking forward to this entire discussion on Lactnet about legislative
issues.

Pam Rardon RN, IBCLC
Anchorage,  AK