From:
Nancy Holtzman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Sep 2001 20:36:04 -0400
Thanks for the varied replies to my post regarding this motivated but very
sick mom.  Something I failed to mention in the initial post is that she
got the c.diff diarrhea 2 weeks following a course of antibiotics to treat
mastitis.  C.Difficile is rare but when occurs it is often after
antibiotics- something  LC's should be aware of.

Mom is feeling much better now, Flagyl has kicked in and diarrhea is much
improved, mom is also now tolerating bland/soft full diet and seems well
hydrated.  She is truly a strong, determined and informed woman.  She felt
the need to gather the info because she was really at a physical and
emotional low, dehydrated, ill, and baby nursing hourly.  BUT, she also
realised her vulnerable state and her impaired ability to make rational
decisions based on exhaustion.  She was able to get a little extra
household help and support, and did not find the need to use formula
supplements.  I told her I admired her determination and told her that she
was exactly the desperate mother the formula companies were hoping to snag
with the ready-to-feed bottles sent to the house.  I loved her reply: "I'm
not going to feed something to my baby just because someone drops it at the
door.  If I really had to end up giving something else,  I'll research all
my options and make my decision that way.". My kind of mom.

It was a tough situation, though... this mom really was weak, sick and
dehydrated after five days of constant diarrhea.  If a mom were to casually
ask (as they do every week) if I thought it was "okay" to give an
occasional bottle of formula so dad could give a bottle or mom could go out
or- I love this one- because Mother-in-Law/neighbor/hairdresser said it
would make the baby sleep longer, I don't have to struggle with what to
say.  Don't compromise the lovely intestines and immune system of your
beautiful exclusely-breastfed baby for no good reason. Formulaes can be
risky.  Formulaes can cause problems.  If it's that important to you to get
a bottle, use expressed milk.  etc.  Usually said a little nicer than that,
but that's clearly the message.  And if a baby is failing to gain weight
and mom is working to boost her supply and fix the nursing, the baby still
needs some extra calories, and sometimes it might end up being
formula.  This was really a shade of gray situation.  I am just glad mom
turned the corner when she did and regained some strength, resolve and
hydration, or else it may have had a different outcome.

Thanks,
Nancy
Nancy Holtzman RN BSN IBCLC
Great Beginnings New Mothers Groups