From:
Linda Beckler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Aug 1999 23:08:14 -0400
Yet another IBCLC squared: I was wondering how other LCs would feel about
having recertifying by exam every ten years.  Having been in the first group
to have to mandatorily sit the test in 1996 I was very hopeful that I would
not have to retake it on my 20th anniversay.  I will admit that I did not
study for the exam because I wanted to see if the my efforts to stay up to
date were valid since I was part of the research group. The arguments for
sitting the test make sense to me but in the boonies of ND getting CERPS and
sitting the  exam can be costly...luckily my health unit is so supportive!
And this year I did voluntarily proctor the exam in so there will hopefully
be someone to do so for me when the time comes...which raises another
question?  When will I be ready to quit?  24 years of breastfeeding support
work and I am just as committed as when I signed my LLL Leader commitment
letter.  Hope to meet some of you in Pocatello, ID this weekend.

Now for the real reason I posted:  the following came to me via the internet
and I have not a clue.

Do you know if swimming in a pool that is treated with Bromine instead of
Chlorine is bad for a breastfeeding mom?  I'm wondering if the bromine is
absorbed and will get into the milk supply; I have heard that iodine washes
are not good for breastfeeding moms since even a small amount gets into the
milk and is bad for the baby.  These are all related on the periodic table,
of course.  My son is 4 mo old and weighs about 14 pounds I think.