Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Jan 2011 09:06:13 -0600
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (45 lines)
Does this baby have a posterior tongue-tie?  Have you done a suck-assessment with flow?  When mothers who have successfully nursed before suddenly have issues, one must always look at WHY periods returned earlier.  Please look at Catherine Genna Watson's multitude of posts on lactnet or get her book.  It is the BIBLE in my office! 

-----Original Message-----
From: Lactation Information and Discussion [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Eileen Ahearn-Shea
Sent: Tuesday, January 25, 2011 9:06 AM
Subject: early menses, baby not feeding

I have a client who has me stumped and I have per mission to post.

Mother is thirty-two years old, has nursed two children for over a year each and has a third baby who is now 15 weeks old.

Baby's weight was good at the two month check up but declined after that and was dropping on the WHO growth standards.
Mother has had two periods so far and thinks she will be having another in the next few days. 
After the first period and continuing, the baby feeds v. frequently, at least hourly  for 2-3 minutes.  It is worse than usual just before and during her period. He also has reflux and is taking ranitidine

Because of the slower gain, the mother has started on domperidone, 10 mg 4 time a day as of last week and the percentile decline seems to have stabilized.

I know that some babies react to their mother's periods but this seems excessive.  

Does anyone have any suggestions for this mother?  

Eileen

gained well for Eileen Ahearn Shea, BSc, IBCLC Clinical Lecturer, Family Health Team Department of Family Medicine McMaster University Faculty of Medicine

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail 2. To start it again: set lactnet mail 3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet 4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2