From:
Mary-Jane Sackett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Nov 2010 10:24:39 EST
Denise writes:

"I read an interesting article in Green Parent by Jo Middleton, a while
back
now, but it also says that breastmilk has been used for sticky  eye/pink
eye/conjunctivitis for many years and quotes:  "Breastmilk is  an emollient,
which cool, and cureth Red Eye immediately" from London  Pharmacopoeia -
18th
Century.  Apparently it also works well on cuts,  scratches and bites from
ants or mosquitoes, and can soothe itch of chicken  pox.  It says to use
breastmilk in the same way as you would use  calamine lotion or other
ointments."

Here's my story: I developed conjunctivitis in one eye while at my
daughter's house several years back. Woke up in the morning of our departure day
with my eye hurting so much I was ready to go to the ER. Then I remembered
someone saying that breastmilk could help, so I had my lactating daughter
express a little onto a spoon, and put it into my eye. The decrease in pain
was  immediate! She expressed some into a milk storage bag, just a few ml's,
and I  put a few drops in my eye every two hours during the 5 hour trip home.
 By the time I got home, it was like I never had conjunctivitis and I could
wear  my contacts (fresh ones) the next day without any problem. The power
of  human milk!

Mary-Jane Sackett, RN, IBCLC, RLC
Pittsfield, MA (in the beautiful Berkshire Hills of western  Massachusetts)