From:
"Anne L. Varberg" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 May 1999 17:37:25 -0500
Responding to the message of <[log in to unmask]>
from Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>:

> Hi all,
>         Fruitless archive search... lots of posts, none with any specifics or
> references....
>         Mom called today. Daycare provider has informed her that Health
> Department
> has mandated that any partially drunk bottle be discarded. Mom argued that
> bm would not grow the same bacteria as formula. Day Care provider said
> unless mom can show her a research paper showing this, she'll have to throw
> out partially used bottles.
>         This is especially distressing for this family as babe only takes
> "sips"
> at a time, never drinking more than an ounce at a try... if they had to
> throw out bottles/cups everytime she took a sip, Mom would be providing
> zillions per day...
>         Have there ever been studies done? Is there a policy statement
> somewhere
> on this?
>
> Please email privately as well as to the list,
> thank you
> anne

Sounds to me like cup feeding would be the way to go then...could keep a larger
bottle of milk in the fridge to use throughout the day...pour maybe a half ounce
to an ounce into a medicine cup for each "feeding"...no waste..health dept's
happy...baby might even feed better this way!

Anne in Mpls