From:
"Jane A. Bradshaw" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Aug 1998 09:51:20 EDT

<<
 I've read plenty about HIV and nursing written about the mom as viral
carrier,
 but almost nothing about the chances of viral transfer from HIV exposed
 newborn to adoptive mom who is attempting to induce lactation.  References,
 articles, opinions etc. would be much appreciated.  I'm looking forward to
 your replies.

 Marie deSoto  R.N. >>

Marie,
This has concerned me also.  A social worker, who is also my client with a
nursing baby, and strong breastfeeding advocate,  recently talked to a group
of parents who are approved for adoption about the possibility of nursing
their babies.   I gave her all my articles, information, SNS sample and books
for her presentation.   Evidently the HIV status of the mother and baby ARE
given to the adoptive parents.  I feel ALL adoptive parents must have this
information whether they plan to breastfeed or not.  If the baby was HIV
positive, I would recommend against direct feeding at the breast, for fear of
infecting the mother.  She could certainly pump and feed any milk to the baby.
I don't think I could even risk recommending she nurse with a nipple shield.
Mmmmmm, I'll have to think a bit more about that one.
Jane Bradshaw RN, BSN, IBCLC
Lynchburg, VA