From:
Fiona Coombes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Apr 1997 07:19:44 +0800
Hi everyone
I have seen a  baby this week who has me stumped. He is 7 weeks old,
gained well for first 3 weeks after birth (gained 400grams about 14
oz). After that he seemed to get very restless at the breast, always
wanting to feed but never satisfied, still plenty of wet nappys.
Mother had been unwell with mastitis and uterine infection, and has 2
other children at home.
Baby weighed last week and has only gained 150g ( 5-6oz) in 4 weeks.
I felt mum's supply was down due to illness, stress etc, and
suggested using a supply line (SNS) to keep baby at breast to
stimulate supply, plus a course of metoclopramide for mother.
Baby has a very exaggerated jaw movement when he feeds, and took 40
mins to drain 60ml (2.5oz) from the supply line. He seemed very
frustrated and wasn't happy feeding from the breast. I thought at
first the jaw movement was just a very vigorous suck at a breast with
poor supply, but now wonder if this sucking action is actually part
of the cause of the supply problem, as he seems to be having little
success with the supply line.
I have had a look through the notes I have kept from Lactnet, but
there isn't much reference to this sort of problem. Baby seems
neurologically intact, good tone, alert, born caesarian 37 weeks
gestation for reduced foetal movements.
Does anyone have any suggestions I can give this mother?

Fiona Coombes MBBS IBCLC               [log in to unmask]
Lactation Consultant, Family Physician
Perth Western Australia