From:
Nikki Lee <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Feb 2003 13:41:32 EST
Dear Friends:
       I can't support maternal exhaustion as a reason to supplement, because
all we are doing then is moving the problem to further on down the road, when
she is alone with the swelling and a more active, asking baby. It is well
known and documented that supplementation, especially in the absence of
expression of milk, promotes engorgement and reduced duration of exclusive or
of any breastfeeding.
       Great if she is exhausted! I support maternal exhaustion as a MEDICAL
way to eliminate visitors, but that's all.
       If she is exhausted, just pop baby in bed with her in a darkened room,
check in periodically and leave them alone for some hours.
       Lyn Johnstone, who writes what used to be my favorite comic strip For
Better or For Worse, speaks of this in a comic-strip related book. She talks
about Murray Enkin, a close friend, who took her, her husband, and her
still-wet baby away to a hidden room where no one found them for well over an
hour. She thanks him to this day for that gift.     Mothers are truly
vulnerable to the baby at this time. Particularly if she is a type-A mom,
bringing the laptop with her to delivery. If she is too tired to be that
vigilant, one can just slip that darling little bundle right next to her and
they'll nurse for an hour or two. Then, her whole attitude can change!
       Warmly,
       Nikki Lee