From:
Teresa Pitman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Apr 2005 12:55:43 -0400
I have just recently been interviewing mothers for an article I am writing
on premature babies, and it has been almost shocking to me to hear their
stories. On the one hand, there is a token support for breastfeeding
("breastmilk is best") but on the other hand there is so little actual help,
accurate information or encouragement. The pediatrician expert I interviewed
simply dismissed breastfeeding and said "there's no point in talking about
it, practically no premature babies end up being breastfed." Talk about a
self-fulfilling prophecy!

Mothers who had diligently researched and wanted to do evidence-based things
like skin-to-skin kangaroo care, pumping during the day and night from
birth, etc., were told that they were "crazy." Women whose babies were
breastfeeding well were told that they could not take the baby home until
the baby was also taking a bottle. (One mother told the staff "well, he'll
probably start with a sippy cup eventually - I guess we'll just have to stay
here until then.")

Teresa Pitman