From:
Kathleen Bruce <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Oct 2003 15:08:16 -0400
I have had the experience of communicating with the physician, or
midwife, and being told that it is not my job to be calling them with my
concern...as though I was not part of the health care team as
well...sort of like "Why are you calling ME?"  It is good to be in
communication as a team, and I always strive for this, faxing reports on
same day of consult to MDs, and mailing a hard copy as well...or calling
MD if there is apressing concern. However, I have had the not infrequent
experience of having my concerns dismissed...as in the referral doesn't
get made, etc. It happened here recently...as a matter of fact. I do
give mothers names of different people in our area who do different
consults, though, as I am often asked..though I never give just one
name.

It is up to the mothers to advocate for themselves and their babies,
that is true.

Kathleen

Kathleen Bruce RN IBCLC
Independent consultant: Breastfeeding Clinic of Vermont, Lactation
Resources of Vermont, Medela, Inc.
Listowner Lactnet listserv
Archives: http://peach.ease.lsoft.com/archives/lactnet.html

"He said that the parents of the baby in question were told by the
hospital LC that their baby had a tight frenulum and that the LC gave
the parents the name of an ENT.  The parents then brought the baby in
for an evaluation - neo then got a call from this ENT who was puzzled as
to why a doc to doc consult wasn't done.  In other words, the LC did not
work within the system.  What the docs like to see is that the LC (or
any other HCP) assess and refer back to the doc for further evaluation.
In this particular case, the LC should have given her explanation of the
tight frenulum and referred the parents back to the doc (and it's OK to
say that the doc may want to refer to an ENT). This neo told me that the
way this particular situation was handled made us all look like we don't
approach health care management as a team."