From:
Anne Stringer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Jun 2002 16:01:26 -0400
> I have a client who's looking to adopt, and who has been asked if she
> would
> accept a baby who'd have to go through methadone withdrawal.  Before she
> answers, she wonders about how bfing and kangaroo care work with
> methadone
> babies.  Anything special she should know?  For instance, apparently in
> her
> area the babies must be hospitalized, and are kept in special rocking
> hammocks in a darkened room, which sounds to both of us as if they'd be
> especially good candidates for Kcare.  Or are they too jittery for it?
> Anyone have any experience?

Given that all babies are different, here are some generalizations.
Methadone makes for a tough withdrawal for babies, and they can be
symptomatic for a very long time, even months. Initially though, they
are hospitalized because the withdrawal can be quite severe. They are
irritable, jittery, sweaty, tense, frantic to suck but not very
coordinated at getting food, they can even have seizures. They are
monitored closely and are given tapering doses of narcotics depending on
their symptoms. The doses are small and not nearly enough to sedate
them, but to ease the symptoms to some extent.

An individual infant might have an easier time of it than another. One
might breastfeed well while another would find it difficult. Some find
the rocking motion soothing, others are very difficult to console. Kcare
in a dark and quiet environment might work well, but it will require an
especially calm and patient mother.

Anne Stringer, RN
NICU