From:
Jodie Lucci <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Jul 2010 10:04:48 -0400
Hi Cassidy,

I don't know if I have a clinical variety of dryness, but I do have a chronic problem with pain (on intercourse) due to dryness that predates pregnancy and is worse while breastfeeding. Prior to the babies I had a male GYN who was less than helpful and after the babies I didn't want to use estrogen either.

I apologize for the graphic response but this is what worked for me:

A gob of KY Jelly on him & myself just before insertion.  Off the shelf at any old drug store or walmart, the original not the ones that are "warming" or "cooling", that is irritating to the abrasions & is annoying afterwards
Try not to use condoms because even with the jelly the abrasions are worse.
He would have to come out immediately after and I go to the bathroom and void, to minimize the burning sensation.  This comes from the microabrasions + semen ie salt in a wound.

On the occassions that intercourse was preceded by oral sex (him to me) then that would kick start my body enough to produce some fluid and there might not be any abrasions at all.  I will say that my libdo was so low during the nursling years that I would have to force myself to allow him to do that and grit my teeth until my body began to respond of it's own accord.

Another trick for marital harmony, while the libido is so low, is to use your hand on him as opposed to your body at least half the time.  Generally quick, easy, no pain and he becomes less cranky the next few days.

I am now recalling that my midwife had suggested Yam at one point because it is a phytoestrogen, at the time internet was in it's infancy and there were no places near me that sold it.  It is topical not ingested, they also have estrogen creams that are topical.  I don't know how much would get into blood stream or whether or not it affects milk production.  She thought it would be OK, but she didn't have all that much experience with moms nursing more than a couple of months.  You might check Hale's or Humphrey's Nursing Mother's Herbal.  I'd look now but am heading out.  Let me know if you don't have access to them.

http://www.stimulife-ind-dist.com/vaginal-gel.htm

Even 5 years after my last nursling weaned sex is only pleasant the 3 days around ovulation, unless we use all the tricks above.  Maybe I should revisit the issue myself. ;-)

Jodie Lucci
LLL in NH