Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Jul 2010 10:04:48 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (75 lines)
Hi Cassidy,

I don't know if I have a clinical variety of dryness, but I do have a chronic problem with pain (on intercourse) due to dryness that predates pregnancy and is worse while breastfeeding. Prior to the babies I had a male GYN who was less than helpful and after the babies I didn't want to use estrogen either.

I apologize for the graphic response but this is what worked for me:

A gob of KY Jelly on him & myself just before insertion.  Off the shelf at any old drug store or walmart, the original not the ones that are "warming" or "cooling", that is irritating to the abrasions & is annoying afterwards
Try not to use condoms because even with the jelly the abrasions are worse.
He would have to come out immediately after and I go to the bathroom and void, to minimize the burning sensation.  This comes from the microabrasions + semen ie salt in a wound.

On the occassions that intercourse was preceded by oral sex (him to me) then that would kick start my body enough to produce some fluid and there might not be any abrasions at all.  I will say that my libdo was so low during the nursling years that I would have to force myself to allow him to do that and grit my teeth until my body began to respond of it's own accord.

Another trick for marital harmony, while the libido is so low, is to use your hand on him as opposed to your body at least half the time.  Generally quick, easy, no pain and he becomes less cranky the next few days.

I am now recalling that my midwife had suggested Yam at one point because it is a phytoestrogen, at the time internet was in it's infancy and there were no places near me that sold it.  It is topical not ingested, they also have estrogen creams that are topical.  I don't know how much would get into blood stream or whether or not it affects milk production.  She thought it would be OK, but she didn't have all that much experience with moms nursing more than a couple of months.  You might check Hale's or Humphrey's Nursing Mother's Herbal.  I'd look now but am heading out.  Let me know if you don't have access to them.

http://www.stimulife-ind-dist.com/vaginal-gel.htm

Even 5 years after my last nursling weaned sex is only pleasant the 3 days around ovulation, unless we use all the tricks above.  Maybe I should revisit the issue myself. ;-)

Jodie Lucci
LLL in NH

On Jul 29, 2010, at 9:23 AM, Cassidy Hotz wrote:

> Ladies,
> 
> I have permission to post. I received a call last night about a mother 6 week pp 
> who has developed 'atrophic vaginitis' (I am not an RN and haven't had time to 
> look it up because I am in the midst of an interstate move). She said that she 
> is experiencing extremely severe vaginal dryness as a result of an extremely low 
> level of estrogen. Her Dr. prescribed estrogen (not sure if it is birth control 
> or just straight estrogen), but she is unwilling to risk compromising bfing. He 
> also recommended eating large amounts of soy for its estrogen-mimicking 
> properties. She is concerned that this could also reduce her milk supply. She is 
> also wondering if there are other 'more natural' things to treat the symptoms 
> (like gels or something) because she feels like this low estrogen is her body's 
> way response to bfing/birth and she doesn't want to lessen that; she just needs 
> help with the discomfort. Anyone work with this before? I didn't see anything in 
> the archives.
> 
> Thanks!
> Cassidy, LLL and CLC in Fayetteville, AR but moving to Edmond, OK; just sat the 
> exam but didn't study dietary soy/bm supply :)
> 
> 
> 
>             ***********************************************
> 
> Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
> To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
> Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
> COMMANDS:
> 1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
> 2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
> 3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
> 4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome
> 

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2