From:
Linda Pohl <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Oct 1998 04:42:25 -0700
Heather -

I have seen the same thing.  Usually they will try for more than a day but
rarely long enough to really get going.  I wonder if breastfeeding is seen
as too risky if there are any problems at all.  The parents worked so hard
to get this very precious child if there is any risk of harming the child by
not giving it enough milk or making the baby work to hard by breastfeeding.
They will go with the option that they perceive to guarantee the baby will
do best.  In our culture bottles are seen as easier than breast and these
parents see formula as a healthy choice that will stress the baby less.

Linda Pohl, IBCLC
Phoenix AZ