From:
Lisa Marasco IBCLC <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 4 Apr 2005 19:48:33 -0700
Christine,
Goat's rue definitely has the reputation of increasing breast tissue. It's
application for insufficient mammary tissue is experimental, and I have had
two cases, both moms with long tubular breasts, who experience growth in
gland and milk production. I don't think your question can be answered
generically, however. The question that always needs to be asked is, "why is
the breast tissue undeveloped?"  Is there a known condition?  Did this
mother have primary amenorrhea, or did she simply not respond to pregnancy?

We are in our infancy of understanding insufficient glandular tissue
etiologies. I believe that goat's rue will benefit some of these women, but
it still depends on what she starts with; I have no expectations of growing
whole breasts in a few days or weeks or even months. There is also the
question of how much goat's rue is needed for a particular situation,
something that is still being worked out and that probably varies by the
individual. Not enough of the right thing is..................not enough to
do the job. But how much is enough?

The two mothers I worked with showed slow and steady growth over a few
weeks. One mom I lost track of due to language barrier issues, but the other
mom I've followed through two babies and we've fine-tuned what was needed
for her body. She started with 10-20ccs per feeding and worked up to
70-105cc feeds over 5-6 wks time.

I hope this helps, though I know it probably raises more questions than
provides answers.

~Lisa Marasco