From:
"Jeanine M. Klaus" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Nov 1995 13:14:20 EST
I worked with a mother who was ill with Salmonella(sp?) attributed to restaurant
food, for two weeks. Through this time she breastfed her 14 month old daughter,
who was an *enthusiastic nurser* (8 x's day). The mother was also two months
pregnant with her second child. Her physicians (family practice and
obstetrician) were not at all concerned about her breastfeeding - yes, they were
aware that she still was breastfeeding ALOT! - nor was any concerned expressed
about the pregnancy. The family practice MD suggested that there is a fecal/oral
route of transmission (per mother's recollection), and that hand washing after
diapering, care with disposal, etc, those cautions were recommended. The mother
recovered, the nursing toddler never got sick (nor does the mother recall any
change in her daughter's behavior throughout this illness), and the baby is a
healthy normal 7 month old today. I know because I phoned her to get this info a
few minutes ago. I was working with her as she anticipated a tandem nursing
situation - not related to this illness.
This anecdotal incident suggests that the breastfeeding probably is not the
culprit. But being a mother of three myself (and knowing about my work in the
*trenches*), I wouldn't rule out that the baby has contracted the illness - body
borders tend to blur when mothering a breastfed 3mo. old along with two others,
and hand washing is rarely your number one priority.
Good luck with this one, Nicole!

Jeanine Klaus