From:
Janet Vandenberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 19 Dec 1998 20:04:56 -0500
I am surprised at your choice of a baby being bottlefed as a graphic
for your page.  It is ironic to see such a picture next to the word
health.  Breastfeeding is certainly a healthier choice.  Are you
perhaps trying to link into the issue that formula fed infants have
a higher incidence of illnesses such as ear infections and might be
more  frequent consumers of your products?

While you may think this is a small issue, it is images like this
that have made bottlefeeding and formula appear to be the normal
method of feeding infants.

As an advertiser, it would benefit society for you to not contribute
to the myth that formula is a heathy lifestyle choice. I doubt that
you will feel comfortable about switching this graphic to one
showing a baby nursing, but I would ask you to think about why you
would hestitate to show such a natural, human interaction and
reflect upon how the images of bottlefeeding and lack of images of
breastfeeding have perhaps made the sight of an infant nursing
controversial.

Perhaps a graphic of a mum and baby cuddling could be substituted?
--
Janet Vandenberg, RN, BScN, IBCLC
Newmarket, Ontario, Canada