From:
Lisa Lostetter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Aug 2011 22:55:09 -0400
Hi all,

I have been reading Lactnet since March, and this is my first time posting.  I wanted to join in on the recent discussion of IBCLE requirements because I agree wholeheartedly that non-RNs enrich the IBCLC profession.  Over the past few months, I have learned a great deal from the SLP/IBCLCs, PT/IBCLCs, RD/IBCLCs, JD/IBCLCs, and other IBCLCs and non-IBCLCs on this list.  I would like to express my thanks to each one of you for so generously sharing your wisdom and experience.

At the same time... I think it is important to support non-RN IBCLCs and other breastfeeding supporters without denigrating RNs.  Like the majority of Lactnetters, the majority of RNs are caring, compassionate individuals who work hard to support the needs of mothers and babies.

As an RN, it feels odd to hear RNs receiving blame for the "medicalization" of the IBCLC profession...especially since my nursing school professors took pains to distinguish the "nursing model," which they said was focused on promoting health, from the "medical model," which they said was focused on diagnosing and treating disease.  So maybe what RNs are TRULY guilty of is the "nursing-ization of lactation"...or the "nursing-ization of breastfeeding"...or...wait...

Warm regards,
Lisa Lostetter, BA, BSN, RN, LLLL, hopeful future IBCLC
Albuquerque, New Mexico