From:
Sara Munday <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Aug 2007 17:40:16 -0700
Hello all -
  Thought I would jump into the conversation with another story.....
  Last year, my grandmother died and I attended her funeral with my 5mo old baby boy.  I chose a dress with buttons down the front to allow easy access to the milk supply in case he was hungry, and of course, during the funeral, he was.  I fed him, life went on.

  That afternoon my cousin, Nadia (age 10), came to me when I was feeding Paul and said to me, "my mother would NEVER unbutton her dress in public!"  Realizing I was about to tread on very dangerous ground re: sexualization of breasts vs breastfeeding etc... I replied to her, "I would never unbutton my dress in public either if I didn't have to feed Paul."  Nadia got this look on her face of mild confusion and amazement and then said to me, "You have milk? In your breasts?  It's breast milk?"  I said yes, and she said "Oh, so there is breast milk and bottle milk?" and I said yes.... and she was OK with that, and I felt like I had treaded very carefully on a very touchy subject.

  That evening, my uncle, Nadia's father came to me as we were about to sit down to dinner and asked me to "please cover myself and Paul when breastfeeding because his boys (age 7 and 9) were traumatized by seeing my breasts out in public"  I had to choose my battle carefully.... so I reluctantly agreed.  I was really angry though and it made for an unpleasant meal on many different levels...
  My victory though came after dinner when Nadia came up to me and asked me if Paul had been able to eat?
  So at least she understood.
  If only I could convince my uncle that breasts are not only sexual.... oh well.

  Thought I would throw in my two cents.
  :)
Sara Munday