From:
Maureen Minchin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Aug 1998 03:39:48 +1100
In setting up long-term studies on this issue, we need to keep in mind that
the treatment is as likely to be a part of the problems as the indications
for which the treatment was given. What I've read suggests that all infant
mammals are well-adapted for relatively long periods of what would be
hypoglycaemia in adults of teh same species, and none is ever exposed to
short or long periods of hyperglycaemia, such as we generate when we stuff
lots of sugar into kids. It is quite likely that damage attributed to
"hypoglycaemia" is in fact damage due to the treatment used.

Maureen Minchin, IBCLC. Christ Church Vicarage, 14 Acland St., St.Kilda,
Vic. 3182 Australia. tel/fax: 61 3 9537 2640
"Taking paths of least resistance is what makes rivers - and people -
crooked." poster in Palmerston North NZ bookshop...