From:
Beth Johnson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Mar 2000 22:12:09 -0500
Janette wrestled with a keyboard and this emerged:

> Just a question to bounce off those who also work with postpartum moms and
> babes.  Do you find, as I do, that babies often cluster feed in the
> evenings?

What I think I've been seeing is that cluster feeding throughout the
day has a very high rate of occurance in the population I work with.
I would say that at least 75% of the dyads I've worked with have a
cluster feeding pattern.  I don't often see moms in the evenings but
by their report and my personal experience the feedings can be more
intense in the evenings; more frequently to breast and fussy in
general.  When I start with them very soon after birth (as early as 1
day after discharge), babies are feeding frequently and irregularly.
By the time I'm done with the clients at the end of the third week,
most of these babies have consolidated many of the cluster feeds.
This seems to correspond with the 2-3 week developmental leap when
they've finally adjusted to life outside the womb.

Another factor is that regardless of the actual feeding pattern, I
think that often moms and dads are psychologically less able to cope
with the intense demands of infant care in the evening.  First-time
parents, at least, were used to being able to kick back and wind down
a little in the evenings and now that baby's here that's just not
happening!  Experienced parents have even more stress because they
have other kids to feed and get to bed.  We call it Arsenic Hour, in
our house: from 5 until 9.

Just my 2 cents from someone who probably gets a little more time
with each client than the LCs do!

Regards
Beth

--
Beth Johnson, CBE, ICCE, Doula
Certified Breastfeeding Educator

"Beautiful words are not truthful,
 truthful words are not beautiful."--Lao Tzu