From:
Kathy Dettwyler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Jan 2000 07:16:26 -0600
>I had a request to post the full citation of the article in the pediatric
>dysphagia textbook I mentioned yesterday.  It is:
>
>Illingsworth R.S., and Lister, J.  "The Critical or Sensitive Period, with
>Special Reference to Certain Feeding Problems in Infants and Children."  The
>Journal of Pediatrics, Vol. 65, 1964, pp. 839-848.

I was the one who requested Barbara post the citation, since I couldn't
remember the authors of the article I had mentioned (blame it on chemo
brain) -- but yes, this IS the article based on the handful of case studies
of *mentally retarded children* and its conclusions that there is a "window
of opportunity" for introducing solids have never been replicated even for
mentally retarded children, and there is no reason to assume that they apply
to "normal" children.  There is no research data to support the idea that
there is a limited window of opportunity for introducing solids in normally
developing children.

Katherine A. Dettwyler, Ph.D.
Associate Professor of Anthropology and Nutrition
Texas A&M University