From:
Debbi Heffern <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Oct 2007 01:30:41 -0500
Hey, Nova

You have a good point and if you check out the Loving Support Makes Breastfeeding Work campaign, you'll find lots of good research for community support being an important factor for a mother's success.

However, I know many others will jump in here, but I want to encourage you to refocus your outlook.  It's not just about the product (breastmilk), but rather about the process (breastfeeding), that's so important.

In fact, the process (breastfeeding) is so important that it actually impacts the product (breastmilk).

I know you've read that breastmilk is full of immunities.  These are from the mom. Her milk provides a baseline of immunities for the baby to things she's been exposed to throughout her life to help protect him until his own immune system is up and running and strong.

But breastfeeding---an on-going, interactive process--creates a different product than if a mom was simply pumping or buying breastmilk at a milk bank.

Suppose one day, Mom's breastfed the baby and Dad says "Sweetie, you take a bubble bath.  I'll take Junior to the hardware store with me so you can have a few minutes to yourself."  Mom has a soul-restoring rest among the bubbles as Dad and Junior go off to look at the latest and greatest in home repairs.  While at the store, a total stranger coos over Junior and even sneezes on him. YUK ! ! ! !

Here's what's super-cool:  When Dad & Junior get back home, Mom's feeling refreshed and is eager to bfd a now hungry Junior.  Junior passes the sneeze germ to Mom at that feeding.  Right there---in her breast---within a few hours, Mom starts making immunities to the sneeze germ to protect Junior.  She sends those immunities out to him to help him fight the germ before his body even starts to get sick!  That's faster than running to Walgreens for a prescription!

Think how different that is from the baby who doesn't have that help and Mom and Dad are up all night walking a crying, miserable baby just waiting for the sun to come up so they can make an appt with the pediatrician. Think how much happier and less sleep-deprived their family life will be!

Not counting all the bonding and developmental help and anticipating your child's needs making it easier to mother, just that on-going, interactive immune help is reason enough to keep as many of the baby's feedings actually at the breast as possible.  Think of the impact it can have to a family who has a baby in daycare or school-aged kids bringing more germs home!

Now someone else please elaborate on the mothering stuff!

Debbi Heffern
RD, IBCLC, and LLLL
St. Louis, MO

Checked by AVG Free Edition.