From:
Carol L'Esperance <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Feb 2001 21:57:06 -0800
Hi! I am 6 weeks behind on posts, but read several relating to terms used for formula. I am writing along with our state task force a pamphlet to help expectant parents make a decision as to how to feed their babies. We are trying to make it purely factual, no lists of pros and cons, no advantages and disadvantages which end up being personal opinions and not facts. I have been trying to decide what to call "formula". I do not like the term formula because it give parents the idea that this is some magical "formula" that is mixed up in a laboratory to be "just like breast milk". I can't tell you the number of HCP who take my class who do not know that formula is cow's milk. I do not like the term "artificial baby milk" because it is not artificial. Webster defines artificial as " made by human work, not by nature; not natural. Most formula is made naturally because it is cow's milk, but it has been modified so that human infant's can tolerate it. Thus, I would like to call formula, "modified cow's milk". What do you all think?
Carol L'Esperance RN, MSN, IBCLC