Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Feb 2009 00:24:24 +0000
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (19 lines)
 As a graduate student in a Pediatric Nurse Practitioner program I had one lecture on breastfeeding and had decided when I had children I would breastfeed.
 With our first child I had a very difficult labor (about 3 days), never progressed enough and ended up with a broken arm and a c/section!
Thank goodness I had decided I was going to breastfeed.  You can breastfeed with one arm but you can't bottlefeed or do much else.
We hired a baby nurse to help us (she was sure that I couldn't breastfeed this baby and that she should be allowed to bottle feed him)and I fired her within a few hours and replaced her with house help only (this was 24 yrs ago).   She  would hand my son to me and changed the diapers, etc. I remember my arm hurting and feeding constantly .  I must have had some engorgement but with everything else I don't remember it. I never thought of pumping, I was just recovering from a c/section with a painful broken arm (I didn't want to take anything that could put my breastmilk at risk, make my son sleepy, etc.) ...I do remember  my dad visiting and asking when I was going to give my son some real food.  By the time I was breastfeeding my second child my dad would proudly announce that I only breastfeed.
Patty Krumholtz-Belkin  MSN PNP IBCLC

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2