From:
The Mahony's <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Jul 1998 22:25:59 -0400
Help fellow lactnetters
        I have a question I tried searching the archives but didn't find
any info. I am working with a mom of a preterm baby who is now 5 weeks
old.

        We used lactation aid supplementer successfully (thanks to Dr. Jack's
articles). Unfortunately, mom got a yeast infection a week ago due to
baby on antibiotics. Baby was treated , not mom, I talked to midwife who
didn't follow my recommendation of diflucan, but used topical nystatin
and baby rx at same time w/ nystatin again. Mom called yesterday, saw ob
this time , yeast not cleared up yet, I believe, but ob told her she is
probably allergic to brest pump plastic and to stop using M____ L___. So
supply way down, due to not pumping.
         I never heard of this, have any of you. Just think ob
misinformed. Mom is getting frustrated, father very supportive, he is
home with her for 6 mo( They had a stillborn last year). Mom is also
being told to limit nursing by ped, (usually very supportive of nursing
but also not always correct info.) Mom back to using lactation aid, but
using ABM as supplement since told not to pump. I suggested possibly
another pump(ob has mom convinced of allergy to any), hand
expression(mom was never good at this but I suggested retrying), nursing
longer or breast compression-will see mom tomorrow to teach this
directly instead of on phone, if she wants). I acknowledged she is
getting different messages, of course, mine I feel is most accurate.
They keep contact with me so they seem to want to keep breastfeeding as
best as possible and trust my opinion and info. It is so hard to have so
many conflicting pieces of advice given to a mother. So, my primary
question is regarding breast pump allergy, has anyone heard of it. I
think it is the yeast still present.  TIA for any support and advice.

Ellen Bane Mahony, MSN, LCCE, IBCLC
Grrenwood Lake, NY
were the weather is hot and humid, love it when I can be by the lake
hope the ILCA conference was cool in spite of the hot weather