From:
Helen Butler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 Mar 2009 12:46:36 -0000
Heather says
 I think there may be a strand of  thinking that says 'this is free so it
must be good and no one wants  to miss out on a free gift' but I don't know
that we can say this is  the primary reason why mothers took up the offer.

as  a non breastfeeding example of 'not wanting to miss out',  my elderly
next door neighbour blames  his bad teeth on the war.  He says that before
the war they never ate sweets,  but  when rationing came in there was a
small provision in the  ration for sweets and his family   started buying
them so as not to miss out
BUT
I think prob Heather is right in that it was   the cork let out of the
bottle. Having spoken  to many   women who had babies post war, many  did
actually  breastfeed,  some have told me with pride that  they never
bothered with bottles  just went onto the cup,  but don't know how long
breastfeeding continued.  I guess that mothers whose early babies were  fed
NDM probably continued to  do so with  later ones,  and it was available for
those  with difficulties of any sort,  and it snowballed from there

Helen
LLL England