From:
Judy Hopkinson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Nov 1995 11:05:47 -0600
Hi, Judy - regarding your question about red colostrum and milk - Yes, I
have seen similar cases.  It would be advisable to test for hemoglobin.
Pink, brown and red colostrum usually mean blood.   Hemoglobin is an
excellent source of both iron and protein.  The concentration in the milk is
unlikely to be a concern, but since you describe this at tomatoe red, it may
be a good idea to considered the concentration of hemoglobin in the context
of the total nutrient composition of the milk.  I am curious about the
"tomatoe" red description.  This suggests to me a quality of translucence
and a low fat content.  Was that intentional?  (Are we talking creamed
tomatoe soup or water-based tomatoe soup?) In the handful of cases I have
observed, pink and red colostrum usually came from only one breast, but in
two cases it was bilateral.  The red colostrum fairly quickly became pink
milk and then turned to white milk within 2-3 weeks of continued nursing.
Infant stools were positive for hemoglobin.
         Several years ago I conducted a brief comparison of two types of
breast pumps I was considering for a research protocol.  I was surprised to
note that the temporary appearance of blood in early milk was quite common
(on the order of 10%, as I recall) regardless of the pump used.  However, it
generally appeared in only one or two milk collections over the entire first
two weeks of lactation.  (In that comparison mothers of premature infants
were expressing all of their milk and making notes on their observations and
the comfort of use of the two pumps.)  It is very likely that more babies
are consuming an occassional bolus of hemoglobin during breastfeeding than
we now recognize.
        The case you describe sounds extreme.  It would be very instructive
to know the concentration of hemoglobin and how long the red color persists,
as well as any information or medical hypotheses generated regarding the
cause in this case.
        Thanks for sharing this.
Judy Hopkinson, Ph.D.
Lactation Physiologist