From:
Karen Gromada <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Mar 2004 10:31:10 -0500
In a message dated 3/1/2004 11:41:15 PM Eastern Standard Time, [log in to unmask] writes:

> I do use the factory one. I give the example of a coca cola vs pepsi cola
> factory (sorry, not a healthful analogy). If everyone wants coca cola then
> the factory will stay open 24/7 and pay the workers overtime. If no one buys
> pepsi the factory will lay off workers and shut down.
> I'm a gardener so deadheading the flowers to increase the bloom or picking
> the zucchini makes sense, but not sure it will resonate for most moms. also
> new moms probably have no exp. w/ teenagers! Just my 2
> cents.

I like the factory too because most momns in my culture can relate, although I don't usually give a specific example. (Shoes, electronic gizmos, etc. would also work vs. colas.) It's just that if one can't keep a product in the warehouse, as it's in high demand, one will do what one must to increase production. If a product sits in the warehouse, one will slow product production line; and if product movement remains low or halts, one will close some or all the factories producing the product. (Milk production may be capitalism in its most efficient and effective form.)

It would be interesting to learn if consumers think of infant formula as being made in a factory. The word "formula" may instead connote a lab for many.

I'm with Laurie, the plant analogy would make sense to gardeners but not to those who don't garden. The laundry concept did not make sense to me, but maybe that's because I taught my 5 children to do their own laundry once teens. (I did if there when doing other laundry and convenient; they did it if they really wanted certain items.)

Karen