From:
Karleen Gribble <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Nov 2008 08:44:14 +1100
I think that it's a case of managing risks, both of contaminated infant
formula and infected breast milk. In both instances there are ways of
lowering the risk and it is generally, but not always, parents who decide
which risks they are prepared to take and what measures they are prepared to
take to lower risk. Health professionals should work with parents by
providing them with the information they need to be able to make informed
choices. An instance where parents are not the decision makers might be when
the child is in out of home care. Some years ago I wrote a paper, published
in JHL, about a case of an infant in foster care in which the decision was
made that the child should be breastfed by her foster mother. This paper
also includes a discussion of the risks associated with wet nursing
arrangements  and the ways in which such risk might be managed.
Karleen Gribble
Australia