From:
Toby and Ron Gish <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Aug 2001 17:47:36 +0200
Dear Lactnetters - I must apologize for a grave mistake. There was a misunderstanding and the Mom does not have abetalipoproteineamia, her first child did. Her first baby was breastfed for two or three months during which time the baby the baby vomited, lost weight and suffered from stomach pain. (I am translating from Hebrew here) After prolonged testing and no end to diagnoses she was diagnosed as suffering from abetalipoproteineamia. She received special formula and is well at 4 years old. The mother was found not to be a carrier.
When she had her second baby she was "forbidden" to breastfeed and when, at one month's of age the baby was found to be healthy "it was too late for breastfeeding."
I have requested to know what the second child was fed while waiting for diagnosis which apparently takes a month or two. Feeding a normal newborn special formula cannot be without consequences.
She is now pregnant with her third and due to deliver any day. Interestingly enough I have found articles advocating giving Vitamin E to prevent the neurological manifestations of the disease. One reason that breastfeeding might be especially recommended.
The mother, with the help of the nurse, has decided to begin breastfeeding until she knows whether this child is affected. Both the nurse and mother are interested in knowing if babies with this condition can be solely breastfed, breastfed with supplement, mother supplemented....? I am finding it hard to find information on feeding infants with this disease - I am sure it is out there somewhere.
Again I apologize for the misunderstanding but I found the answers fascinating and truly appreciated them.
Sincerely, Toby Gish RN, IBCLC

      Adv Pediatr 1990;37:119-48

Vitamin E and neurologic deficits.
Sokol RJ.

........."The clinical and histologic resemblance of the human neuromuscular disorder associated with chronic fat and vitamin E malabsorption to that observed in experimental vitamin E-deficient animal models is striking. Because of chronic malabsorption of vitamin E, children with CF, chronic cholestasis, abetalipoproteinemia, and short bowel syndrome are at risk for the development of neurologic deficits caused by vitamin E deficiency. Correction of the vitamin E deficiency state prevents, reverses, or, at least, stabilizes the neurologic dysfunction in susceptible individuals. ........."