From:
cillakat <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 25 Aug 2002 14:07:36 -0400
I suppose I should check the archives before I post, but I'm a bit short
on time.  Besides, there might be someone new who hasn't heard of it:)

It's a fantastic new book by Elizabeth Pantley.  A wonderful alternative
for the mom who doesn't want to continue to nurse her baby through the
night, but who also is appalled by the offering of books on the subject
of sleep.

It's been endorsed by API and, I think Bill Sears as well.  My copy is
out on loan so I can't check it.  It's incredibly pro-breastfeeding, is
organized in such a way that I think bottlefeeding families would be
comfortable with it as well.  Her tips are clearly organized for babies
who breastfeed, bottlefeed, co-sleep or crib sleep (in any combination
of those four options).

The first part of the book is the standard sleep association bit.....no
big news there, except that she supports the choice to have the baby
fall asleep at the breast.

Facing reality, not all mom's are willling or interested in nursing or
bottle feeding their baby on cue throughout the night.   Even some very
ap oriented mom's who thought night nursing would be fine, have found
much to their suprise, that they simply can't sleep while someone is
nursing and that to them, it's very disruptive.

Personally, I'll go on record as saying that I have zero issue with my
baby night nursing, but I woudn't mind if she was sleeping the four hour
stretch between her bedtime and mine.  Others have different issues or
goals.  This book offers moms a real plan for sleep while respecting
baby as well.  other books on the subject have basically offered two
a third option, this is the book.

I give it to every new parent I know.

katherine in atl